HomePoliticsFormer defence minister Al Carns turns down ministerial offer

Former defence minister Al Carns turns down ministerial offer

Former defence minister Al Carns says he has turned down an offer to serve in Prime Minister Andy Burnham’s government.

Carns followed John Healey, then defence secretary, in resigning from former prime minister Sir Keir Starmer’s government last month in a row over planned military funding, which both men said was not high enough.

At the time, Sir Keir replaced Healey with Dan Jarvis, increased funding for the long-delayed defence investment plan (Dip) by a little but notably left a £4.7bn funding gap.

Now Carns says he has been offered a ministerial role by the chief whip, Anneliese Midgely, but declined because he is still concerned about defence funding.

Posting on social media, external, he said: “I resigned in June because I did not believe the defence funding on the table was adequate for the threats this country faces. I said so publicly and I still stand by every word.

“I’ve always said I would serve where I am asked. In normal circumstances, that is exactly what I would do, but the argument I resigned over has not yet been settled.”

Carns explained he believed to take up the offer of a government role would signal his fight for higher military funding was over, when he intends to keep making that case from the back benches.

However, he admitted the appointment of his former boss, Healey, as chancellor had moved the debate in the right direction. Healey faces the task of finding the extra money he believed the last government failed to deliver to keep the UK safe.

“John resigned for the same reasons I did,” Carns said.

“He is a man of his word and he has made it clear that he will deliver on the commitments that led him to leave government in the first place.

“The Prime Minister knows exactly what John stands for and that appointment is meaningful and I welcome it.”

Speaking earlier on Wednesday, new Defence Secretary Wes Streeting said he wanted to ensure “every penny is spent wisely” and investment in the armed forces must come with “modernisation”.

Burnham has said he wants to honour the UK’s commitments on defence spending, which includes meeting Nato’s core defence spending target of 3.5% of gross domestic product (GDP) by 2035.

Conservative shadow defence secretary James Cartlidge has questioned whether Burnham will increase spending to 3% in the current Parliament, which is due to run until 2029.


Source:

www.bbc.co.uk

Hot this week

US payrolls shrink in July as revisions cut prior gains, unemployment steady at 4.1%

US employers shed 23,000 jobs in July and revisions trimmed 103,000 from previous months, while the unemployment rate remained at 4.1%, signaling softer labor-market conditions.

Europe’s Migration Dispute Tests Spain’s Government and EU Coordination

Large migrant arrivals in Ceuta have prompted criticism of Spain’s regularisation programme and a letter from 22 EU leaders calling for review of migration policies.

US Pressure and the New Gaza Plan: Limits and Levers

Reports say President Trump would be 'very disappointed' if Israel rejects a newly announced Gaza peace plan. This article explains the diplomatic and legislative tools Washington could employ and the constraints it faces.

Trump proposes Monday talks with Iran; Tehran silent

Donald Trump proposed new talks with Iran to start Monday. Tehran has not responded and previous claims of imminent negotiated endings were followed by resumed strikes.

What Your Summer Reading Reveals About You, According to Research

Psychological studies link summer book preferences to personality traits. What you pick — fiction, thriller, or nonfiction — can correlate with openness, empathy, and more.

Ceuta Crisis Underscores Diplomatic and Security Stakes Beyond Migration

The Ceuta episode exposed fractures in Spain-Morocco ties, EU responsibilities, and border-management failures. The situation encompassed diplomacy, trafficking networks and local governance as much as migration flows.

Practical steps to reduce AI’s environmental footprint

Researchers outline simple actions—use search, choose smaller models, limit outputs and batch media—to lower the energy and water costs of AI services.

How a former GB Olympian Addressed Problematic Porn Use and Where to Seek Help

A former GB Olympian outlines signs of problematic porn use and the expert-recommended steps to recovery, including where to seek confidential help.

Why Tech Investors Wanted a Slice of the World Cup — and Why the Plan Was Cancelled

Tech investors proposed an AI-driven commercial model for the World Cup but withdrew the plan after rights and regulatory objections, highlighting tensions in live-sports monetisation.

Nigeria officiates marriages for 1,500 couples in government programme

The Nigerian government held a mass wedding that united 1,500 couples, described as a measure to support low-income families and promote social stability.

Accusations Grow That Israel Is Using Archaeology to Justify West Bank Land Seizures

Palestinian officials and rights groups say Israel plans large-scale West Bank land expropriations tied to archaeological claims; calls for independent oversight grow.

FIFA condemns campaign to remove president Gianni Infantino

FIFA said a "concerted and ongoing effort" seeks to "undermine" the organisation and its president Gianni Infantino, rejecting calls for his removal in an official statement.

Accusations Grow Over Use of Archaeology to Justify West Bank Land Expropriations

Rights groups and Palestinian officials accuse Israel of weaponising archaeology to support planned large-scale land expropriations in historic West Bank areas.
Advertisementspot_img

Related Articles

Advertisementspot_imgspot_img