Watch: Ceasefire prompts mass departure from Gaza camps as families load vehicles
Alex Croft11 October 2025 14:16
Comment | The people I spoke to in Hostages Square know Netanyahu faces a reckoning
The scene in Hostages Square, Tel Aviv, on Thursday afternoon was one of nervous relief rather than joy. There had been too many false dawns for anyone to start unbridled celebrations.
The giant digital clock, when I dropped by, recorded 733 days, 11 hours and 47 minutes since 251 hostages were snatched in October 2023. Crowds milled aimlessly around; reporters scanned their mobiles for updates; the merch stalls were doing good business for hostage T-shirts, coffee cups and keyrings. Two women took it in turns to hold a giant placard proclaiming: “We love Trump. He who saves just one life saves an entire world.” Well, perhaps.
I stooped my way through the “tunnel experience” – an art installation claiming to simulate the underground experience of the hostages – and paused to watch a circle of relatives quietly dancing and singing. A former hostage, Omer Shem Tov, cautioned the crowd against too much hope. “With all that joy, I have to say: it’s not over yet.”
Alex Croft11 October 2025 13:55
London police brace for clashes as protests planned
Police have put measures in place to try to prevent a clash between pro-Palestine protesters and counter-protesters in London, a day after the ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas came into effect.
Hundreds of thousands of pro-Palestinian protesters are expected to gather for a march and speeches in central London on Saturday, as tens of thousands of Palestinians returned to their homes in Gaza following the withdrawal of Israeli forces.
Meanwhile, Stop The Hate has organised a counter-protest, at the junction of Aldwych and the Strand, police said.
Scotland Yard has imposed conditions under the Public Order Act to “prevent serious disruption” during the demonstrations, it said.
Conditions have been imposed on both demonstrations by the force, which set out specific areas protesters can gather as well as a march route.
The pro-Palestinian protest will be the 32nd national demonstration in support of Palestine since October 2023, according to organiser Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC), and will see protesters march along Embankment ending with in a rally in Whitehall.
The Metropolitan Police made reference to recent Government proposals to give police greater powers to restrict repeat protests but said that “at this time, the law remains unchanged”.
The measures announced last weekend follow frequent pro-Palestinian demonstrations, including in London last Saturday.
Almost 500 people were arrested at last week’s protest, with the majority on suspicion of supporting the banned terror organisation Palestine Action.
Calls for restraint had been made following the terror attack on a synagogue in Manchester on October 2 in which two people were killed, with prime minister Sir Keir Starmer urging protesters to “respect the grief of British Jews”.
Alex Croft11 October 2025 13:14
The questions remaining unanswered after ceasefire deal
The ceasefire – hailed by US president Donald Trump hailed as “a Strong, Durable, and Everlasting Peace” – leaves many questions unresolved.
Israel wants Hamas disarmed, while Hamas is demanding a full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.
The shape of a postwar administration for Gaza also remains uncertain, with Trump’s plan proposing an Arab-led international security force and a governing council led by Palestinian technocrats.
Israelis have welcomed the release deal as a long-awaited breakthrough, while Palestinians in Gaza have greeted the pause with relief and scepticism – unsure how long it will last, and whether their shattered territory will ever be rebuilt.
Much now depends on continued diplomatic pressure. Without it, analysts warn, any misstep could see Israel resume its campaign to destroy Hamas, plunging Gaza back into war.
Alex Croft11 October 2025 12:53
‘The situation is very fluid’, Israeli official tells The Independent
An Israeli official has been speaking to The Independent’s chief international correspondent Bel Trew.
They’ve updated on the hostage release schedule and the search for the dead hostages.
Here’s what the official said:
The situation is very fluid. The 72 hours as laid out in the deal started with the announcement of the ceasefire yesterday [Friday] and once the army repositioned itself along the yellow line.
That means it expires around Monday lunchtime. For the first time ever all the hostages – all 48 living and dead – will come out at the same time, that is what is written in the government decision.
But Hamas has said it doesn’t know the whereabouts of some of the deceased, so it is unlikely all 48 will come home. They will build a task force – international including representatives from Qatar, Egypt and Turkey to investigate the location of the deceased hostages .
According to the agreement they are supposed to release the hostages in one go – they will come out through multiple crossing points and go to Re’im military base in Southern Israel, for their first medical screening and where they will see their families.
If they are seriously ill they will go on to one of several hospitals across Israel.
The bodies that are retrieved will be taken for identification to the main forensic institute in Tel Aviv, so there might be some time before they are released to the families.
Alex Croft11 October 2025 12:33
Analysis | Trump has been lavished with praise for delivering peace in Gaza – but did he really?
World leaders, diplomatic insiders, and much of the media are celebrating a ceasefire in Gaza calling it a “peace deal” and endorsing President Donald Trump’s now unsuccessful campaign for a Nobel Peace Prize.
US secretary of state Marc Rubio lavished praise on his boss, saying the turning point came when Trump convened meetings with Arab and Muslim leaders on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly.
“The president had some extraordinary phone calls and meetings that required a high degree of intensity and commitment and made this happen,” Rubio said.
As the deal emerged, Trump let it be known that it was his conversations with Netanyahu when he told him, “you can’t fight the world, Bibi”, that also played a part.
Our world affairs editor Sam Kiley reports:
Alex Croft11 October 2025 12:32
Watch: Palestinians return home to devastated buildings reduced to rubble after Israeli troops withdraw
Alex Croft11 October 2025 12:10
Israel has killed more than 100 civilians in Lebanon since Hezbollah ceasefire – UN
Israel has launched fresh air strikes on Lebanon, killing at least one person as it continues to strike the country despite agreeing a ceasefire in November 2024.
Earlier this month, the U.N. human rights chief, Volker Turk, called for renewed efforts to bring a permanent end to hostilities in Lebanon following the war.
He said that until the end of September, they have verified 103 civilians killed in Lebanon since the ceasefire.
The most recent Israel-Hezbollah war killed more than 4,000 people in Lebanon, including hundreds of civilians, and caused an estimated $11 billion worth of destruction, according to the World Bank. In Israel, 127 people died, including 80 soldiers.
Alex Croft11 October 2025 11:49
Trump says there is ‘consensus’ on next steps ahead of Middle East visit
The fragile ceasefire in Gaza appears to be holding – but further steps in Trump’s 20-point plan have yet to be agreed.
Donald Trump has expressed his confidence that it will hold while next steps are worked out, saying: “They’re all tired of the fighting.”
He said he believed there was a “consensus” on the next steps but acknowledged some details would still have to be worked out.
Trump is expected to visit the region on Monday and address the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, the first US president to do so since George W. Bush in 2008.
Trump said he would also travel to Egypt and that other world leaders were expected to be present.
Alex Croft11 October 2025 11:24
Trump says approximately 28 bodies to be recovered on Monday – ICYMI
US president Donald Trump said on Friday the hostages held by Palestinian militant group Hamas in Gaza are due to “come back” on Monday.
Speaking to reporters at the White House, he said there were approximately 28 bodies to be recovered. He said he thought he would be traveling to Cairo and he would later speak to the Israeli Knesset, before returning to the US on Tuesday.
Alex Croft11 October 2025 11:02





