HomeWorld NewsUS withdrew forces from Nigeria after operation against ISIS, AFRICOM chief says

US withdrew forces from Nigeria after operation against ISIS, AFRICOM chief says

The United States has withdrawn most of the forces it deployed for a recent operation against Islamic State terrorists in Nigeria and is now providing intelligence support at Abuja’s request, the head of US Africa Command (AFRICOM) said.

In May, US and Nigerian forces conducted military operations in northeastern Nigeria that killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the second-in-command of ISIS globally. That followed a US strike on Christmas Day against the terrorists ordered by US President Donald Trump, who said they had been targeting Christians in the African country.

Addressing a conference of African defense chiefs in Angola on Thursday, AFRICOM Commander General Dagvin Anderson described May’s joint US-Nigerian as a model for future security cooperation in Africa.

“We have withdrawn much of our forces that were just there for that operation, but are continuing the partnership that Nigeria has asked for to help continue with the intelligence sharing,” Anderson told journalists during a US State Department-hosted briefing after the conference.

Anderson said the operation, in Nigeria’s Lake Chad Basin region, demonstrated Washington’s approach of providing specialized capabilities while allowing African partners to lead security operations.

He said cooperation with Nigeria had helped significantly degrade Islamic State’s leadership, adding that the impact had extended beyond West Africa because of the terrorist group’s international network.

The operation disrupted not only local commanders but also broader Islamic State communications and operations, he added.

“Nigeria has been very active since that operation in May,” Anderson said. “They continue to prosecute targets themselves.”

He added that Nigerian military pressure, combined with efforts to publicize the operation, had encouraged additional defections and surrenders among ISIS fighters in northeastern Nigeria.

The three-day conference in Angola’s capital, Luanda, was attended by military leaders from 35 African countries, alongside representatives from the US and Brazil.


Source:

www.jpost.com

Hot this week

Arsenal hold fresh talks with Aston Villa over Ezri Konsa, newspapers report

Newspaper reports say Arsenal have held further discussions with Aston Villa regarding central defender Ezri Konsa. Clubs have made no official comment and transfer details remain unconfirmed.

How a former GB Olympian Addressed Problematic Porn Use and Where to Seek Help

A former GB Olympian outlines signs of problematic porn use and the expert-recommended steps to recovery, including where to seek confidential help.

Child Among Three Killed in Missile Strikes Near Kyiv

Three people, including a child, were killed in overnight Russian missile strikes near Kyiv as President Volodymyr Zelensky warned of dwindling missile interceptors.

Former Gang Member to Face Trial in 1996 Killing of Tupac Shakur

A former gang member has been charged and will stand trial in the 1996 murder of Tupac Shakur, marking a rare criminal proceeding three decades after the rapper's death.

Burnham Faces Prisoner Release Dispute Amid Overcrowding Crisis

Prime Minister Burnham confronts a prisoner release dispute driven by an overcrowding crisis, forcing difficult choices between public safety, legal obligations and capacity limits.

Ceuta Exposed Limits of European Migration Response

The May 2021 Ceuta crossings and subsequent diplomatic tensions between Spain and Morocco highlighted gaps in EU operational coordination and reliance on bilateral diplomacy.

NASA release: first images of August 12 total solar eclipse over Spain reveal corona and prominences

NASA scientists released images from the Aug. 12 total solar eclipse observed over northern Spain, showing the Sun's corona, a pink prominence and Baily's Beads; the event coincides with a new moon ahead of the Perseid meteor shower.

NHS Blood and Transplant medical director criticises NHS leadership over organ waiting lists

The medical director of NHS Blood and Transplant has criticised NHS leadership for failing to address unfair organ transplant waiting lists, calling for urgent action on capacity, staffing and allocation policies.

Lawsuit Challenges Truth Social $100,000 Early-Access Service to Trump Posts

A lawsuit challenges Truth Social's $100,000 early-access offering that sells advance access to Donald Trump's posts alleged to move markets.

Russia’s Supreme Court bars Yabloko from September parliamentary elections

Russia's Supreme Court has barred the anti-war party Yabloko from the September parliamentary elections, removing an established opposition voice and reshaping campaign dynamics.

Major Russian grain export terminals struck in Black Sea port attack, exports fall as reciprocal strikes continue

Major Russian grain export terminals were hit in a Black Sea port attack. Reciprocal strikes by Russia and Ukraine are depressing grain exports and disrupting shipping.

17-year-old Brian Madjo nets on Aston Villa debut in Super Cup loss

Seventeen-year-old Brian Madjo ended an eight-month wait by scoring on his Aston Villa debut in the UEFA Super Cup, despite a defeat to Paris Saint-Germain.

Major Russian grain export terminals struck in Black Sea port attack

An attack on a Ukrainian Black Sea port struck major Russian grain export terminals, contributing to a decline in grain shipments from both Russia and Ukraine and disrupting regional export capacity.
Advertisementspot_img

Related Articles

Advertisementspot_imgspot_img